PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Scampton closing before it opens?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2005, 18:45
DC10RealMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope and pray that RAF Scampton is saved because it is a very famous Bomber Command station, perhaps the most famous. I had a family member there with 57 Squadron on Lancasters when 617 Squadron were preparing for the Dams operation. I stayed in the Officers Mess just prior to its closure and wandered around the airfield taking photographs (with permission) and the history of it oozed throught the ground, through my feet and into my very soul. I was truly walking in the footsteps of heroes and it was a very humbling experience. I often go up to Lincolnshire to visit the old Bomber Command bases and I always end up at Scampton at dusk and try to imagine what it was like in those dark days. I am a civilian and I know that what I have just written is unfair on serving RAF personnel and their rightful concerns about allowances, accomodation, postings, etc, but I feel that concerns about budgets, money, allowances, should not be allowed to dismember this "hallowed ground". God! how I hate the 21st Century and the tyranny of accountants.

Tony Fallows
Hampshire

Last edited by DC10RealMan; 2nd Dec 2005 at 21:05.