PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To all recently employed F/Os
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2005, 12:44
747 Downwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One year to get first 'airline' related job (flight ops), two and a half years to get first F/O job. SSTR 737 with line flying.. one month to get job after that. Funnily enough did get an interview with a turbo-prop regional as was recommended by my previous FTO.. had to turn it down as I was half-way through my type-rating. Nothing came of the C.Vs.. got a few written rejections better than nothing!

Keep plugging away.. bash out the C.Vs, consider going and visiting airlines (something I didn't do ). Network with other pilots, flying schools. Keep medical and IR current (even if on FNPT II). If nothing happens within 1-2 years (the time is dependent on you, this is just my personal preference) then consider making a further step forward. If you can't get air taxi work or just GA flying, then consider type rating or instructor rating (I know it's money, but sadly it's what this game is all about from day 1).

The longer you are out of flight school the more 'discrimination' if such a word can be used, you will be subjected to. Both BA mainline and BA citiexpress rejected me because more than twelve months had elapsed since my initial IR (although I met all their other criteria). Therefore, that is one reason why I decided to make that further step forward.

Good luck
747 Downwind