PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian airspace unsafe
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2005, 20:51
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Chevvron, you ask

It would help us in the UK to understand the problem if you told us what class of airspace you have around these non-radar airports.
That is exactly what my presentation explains. Here is a link to the book http://www.dicksmithflyer.com.au/book/ We have jet airline aircraft in good radar coverage using a ‘do it yourself’ separation system when in cloud and not being able to make use of the radar.

The Government decided to go ahead with the US NAS system, which is one of the best airspace systems in the world, but for some extraordinary reason the air traffic controllers’ union (Civil Air) have run a campaign against this.

The claim is that we do not have as much radar in Australia. That is obvious, but why not use the radar properly where we have it? That is between Tasmania and Cairns – i.e. the same distance as from London to Istanbul.

I ask all professional pilots to have an open mind and read the presentation, then possibly give some advice to Australian professional pilots on how the airspace could be better utilised to prevent Controlled Flight Into Terrain accidents.

I do agree that in the UK you have a lot of uncontrolled airspace, however you use the radar correctly when IFR aircraft are in cloud.

Note how my opponents attack me personally but do not comment on my ‘Unsafe Skies’ presentation – even when professional pilots inadvertently killed 24 people in Controlled Flight Into Terrain accidents in a 13 month period.

Last edited by Dick Smith; 1st Dec 2005 at 22:25.