PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How often?
Thread: How often?
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2005, 11:30
wonko the sane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
> e.g. 30 hours still unable to get around the circuit safely and land ??
> let's not waste any more time and money.

Interesting opinion.

I was one of those students who took more than 30 hours to first solo (haven't got my log book here, but it was somewhere between 35-45 hours). There were a few reasons, such as fragmented training (for financial reasons). I took a long time to start landing consistently. Also, as I discovered through later discussion with some of the instructors at the school, the instructor I spent my formative first 20 or so hours with was also a significant contributory factor - and my recollection is that my ability changed quite quickly when he left and I started with others (but let's forget all that for now).

Anyhow, I got through, got my license, I've done a nice bit of flying, I'm just about to go for some night training, .... I've had a few check flights where my flying has been generally comented on as being pretty good for a low hours PPL.

I think giving up on someone after 30 hours because you see it as a "Waste of time and money" is harsh. If people aren't natural pilots, do you think they they can never be trained to be good pilots?. Sure, it takes time and patience and, yes, money - but if that's alright with the student, surely it should be alright with the instructor.

Foxmouth: yes, getting out of the circuit bashing and actually doing some flying makes a big difference. It reminds you why you started flying in the first place, which after 20+ hours in a circuit you can soon forget.

Last edited by wonko the sane; 29th Nov 2005 at 12:59.