PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laker Airways
Thread: Laker Airways
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2005, 15:28
Opssys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on Laker the Man and the Company

I have followed this thread with more than idle interest and whilst my views of Laker are Personal with a capital P, it has been interesting to see how my sometimes conflicting views of both the Man and the Company that have been 'played out' on this thread.

Freddie Laker has assured his place in British Airline and Civil Aviation History (Channel Air Bridge, Aviation Traders, MD of BUA and of course Laker Airways, just some highlights).
Whilst Skytrain tends to be considered the defining Laker moment, at least in the minds of the media (even all these years later) it should be treated perhaps more as the culmination of Lakers British Aviation journey.

Being reminded of his iconic status is, for me at least, is refreshed each year when the Freddie Awards are announced (which I believe he regularly attends and this is despite him having ceased to be an active force even on the US scene some years ago).

Although never a Laker employee, I can testify to the intense loyalty of Laker Staff, in some cases bordering on 'idolisation' and any one who has that level of charismatic leadership is someone special.

So we have a charismatic entrepreneur who had an understanding long before Branson of how to work the media and as described in this thread a very 'hands on approach' to his business.

All good stuff, or is it!
I having dealt with Laker Airways (before Skytrain) certain elements of that companies operational activities did not sit well with me (or my colleagues). As the modus operandi came from the top, this meant that Freddie probably not only approved, but initiated these procedures.

As for Skytrain, its long term success depended on a large number of economic variables remaining favourable. Whilst Freddie in showman mode could and did ensure a too successful launch (the Gatwick camp for hopeful passengers springs to mind) there was no way he could hope to influence macro economics. In addition Skytrain required that other carriers on the North Atlantic run, would not have an effective response, at least until a stable market position and share had been established.

Well the 'infamous' trio of British Airways, Pan Am and British Caledonian, did react apparently about as 'violently' as was possible. In the case of BCAL this probably was a fight for survival issue (although I was far too low on the BCAL totem pole to be aware of this type of issue) and as Pan Am's decline had reached a dangerous stage, they also probably saw Skytrain in a similar light. As for Lord King, I think BCAL was an irritant that politically he couldn't at that stage deal with, but he wasn't going to countenance another.
In any fight where survival is the prize, there is almost certainly going to be at least one death.

As pointed out by both Glueball and Groundloop, the entrepreneur side of the Laker character (a precursor to Harry Goodman in the very early 1990's) ensured disaster. On a roll and riding high Sky Train Europe was the next logical step and the big Airbus Order seemed like a really good idea.
But macro economics meant suddenly costs were very high and revenue was falling like a stone.
Game over!

When Laker Airways ceased operations, I was very sad for the staff, but also relieved that probably I would have a job next year. The Airline business is a cruel world and today’s winners are tomorrow’s losers. So as JW411 pointed out, both Pan Am and BCAL are no more although the implied crowing over the sad death of Sir Adam Thomson and indeed the pain caused to his family during his final illness is regrettable.

I only had two close encounters with Freddie Laker.
Like funfly, I attended only one public talk he gave and I have to say if this was my only knowledge of the Man my opinions would be exactly those expressed in funfly’s original post!

My second encounter was when Adam Thomson personally authorised an unlimited delay on a Jersey Service so Freddie Laker (this is post Laker Airways collapse) could get to a meeting (I assume for the creditors of Laker Airways Jersey Limited). 100+ passengers suffered a 45 Minute delay so a Man on an FOC Ticket could arrive in his Rolls (the only Roller with a Ramp pass) at the Aircraft Steps. A performance that left a Bad Taste in my mouth for a long while.
DIH

Last edited by Opssys; 27th Nov 2005 at 16:52.