PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solo practice of stall recovery
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2002, 10:08
Icarus2001

Received 252 Likes on 110 Posts
My two cents worth.... .. .It used to be that the CAA,DCA etc mandated 33 hours for a RPPL to be issued. . .. .Then due to lobbying from ultralight/glider pilots who wanted to crossover the minimum for a GFPT holder was reduced to 20 hours (5 PIC).. .. .Most Instructors where I was at that time used to quote prospective students 40 hours to gain an RPPL. Then suddenly flying some schools were promoting 20 hours, and we were back to lowest common denominator.. .. .Nowadays people quote 40 hours for a full PPL!. .. .Given that an "average" student (no such thing I know) will take 10-12 hours to go solo it does not leave much "spare" practice time.. .. .Most prospective students ask what is the minimum time to gain a licence NOT what is the minimum time to make me a competent and confident pilot.. .. .Once the competencies from the Day VFR syllabus are checked most Instructors spend more time on perceived more important areas, landings PFL etc. I don't dare to speak for all Instructors but that is my observation. . .. .I do agree with using aerobats for ab-initio or at least doing a run in a Robin etc. to show students what an aircraft will do. Without fail showing a (willing) student some gentle aerobatics (acrobatics according to CASA) improved their confidence in the aircraft.