PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solo practice of stall recovery
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2002, 15:00
stormywx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am curently a CPL level student at a Sydney school. We have always been allowed and encouraged to practise stalls when solo (including advanced stalls), while it is not the most comfortable feeling to begin with, it does build self confidence over time. We are also permitted to make any sort of approach when solo, including short field, glide etc etc.. .. .Our school also teaches the 3 degree approach method in PA28's. The theory behind it is that our course was designed for an airline standard and therefore they are teaching airline standard approaches now so there is no conversion required later. We are however taught how to make steep shortfield approaches into country airstrips where obstacles are a issue. This therefore provides us with 2 usuable approach methods.. .. .As a student I think its most valuable to allow students to practise all types of stalls and approaches while solo. There is a tendancy when dual to think "well the instructor will fix this if I stuff it up", you don't have that security blanket while solo. So over time this increases both self confidence and your ability to handle the aircraft in a wider range of activities.