PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solo practice of stall recovery
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2002, 18:38
Charlie Foxtrot India

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts
IMHO emphasis on recognising and controlling the aircraft, particularly in balance, at speeds close to the stall is more important than recovering from a fully developed one. Just as we teach people to correct and maintain their flight path on the approach BEFORE they crash the plane! Would you send someone solo to practice crashing just because it might happen one day if they forget how to fly it and get too slow?. .. .Most stall/spin episodes are a result of things like flying into IMC and getting disorientated, idiots showing off, or getting into strife on a glide approach because the symptoms of slow flight aren't recognised because their training didn't include enough emphasis on recognising and recovering from slow flight.. .. .I believe that these elements were an important part of the syllabus when older aircraft more prone to entering a spin were used. These days aircraft such as the pipers have a stall that is practically a non-event, and deliberate spins are prohibited. That's a safety feature, it doesn't mean pilots who fly them are wimps any more than people who drive cars with brakes that work are wimps. Spinning is an aerobatic manouevre and I always encourage students to go up and do some in the aerobat for the experience if they want to, or if they are keen to fly an older aeroplane, but would never force them especially if they are going to be flying a PA28.. .. .As for applying full opposite rudder to correct a wing drop, I totally disagree. This is an essential part of the recovery from a fully developed spin, but applied in the initial wing drop this could lead to making the aircraft far more out of balance, and lead to a spin in the opposite direction. Think about how you get the reluctant little aeroplane to enter a spin in the first place, yes a bootful of rudder.. .. .I teach the wing drop recovery to lower the nose to regain airspeed and MAINTAIN BALANCE with rudder. Raising the wing is NOT a high priority, getting the speed up is. ONce you are safely past Vs, level the wings as much as you like. . .. .I have conducted flight tests with people who have been taught this full opposite rudder thing, given them a stall recovery in a balanced banked attitude and...well think about it. Some people don't even know the difference between a wing drop and a banked attiude, because their instructors didn't know either.. .. .As for sending people out to practice "stalls" solo, I really don't see the point, there are fart more beneficial things they could be practicing.