PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - logging of ICUS
Thread: logging of ICUS
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2001, 06:35
Turbine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi peanutter.

You have me confused How are you logging single engine co pilot time? You may only log co pilot time IF the aircraft you are flying requires two crew or if it's required by your company operation. So, does your company REQUIRE two crew due to a client contractual obligation or a lack of an autopilot as per CAO 20.18 4.1B. I don't know any singles in Australia with in excess of 15-passengers so I don't think CAO 20.16.3 6.1(ii) would apply.

Keep in mind also that if you are operating with two pilots (and one is logging time as co pilot) you must have an approved two-pilot checklist as per 20.18 3(a) & 4 and a company approved part B in the absence of any generic two crew operations in Part A or equivalent. Do you have this?

My understanding is that a few operators of aircraft types such as the single engine PC12 have adopted multi crew procedures and as such you may log co pilot time. If this is the case you are to log 50% of the flying to your total aeronautical experience. I think that single engine RPT with in excess of 9 pax also requires two pilots (as per CAO 82.3 8.1c) so there's another situation where co-pilot time on singles may be legally logged.

I know that a condition of ICUS is that you must be the co-pilot, which is why I am a little unsure. How about single engine co-pilot times logged in the ICUS column: like when two instructor candidates are practising mutual flying?
First, if you are logging ICUS, the other guy still logs command. This is why the whole 10-hour thing is somewhat questionable. You cannot have two pilots logging command together indefinately!

Two instructor candidates can log command at the same time as long as they are in the process of undertaking trainig for the rating. That is where that ends. Read CAO 40.1.7 4.1B (keeping in mind that although two student instructors may log all the time as command, one pilot will be nominated as the 'Captain' of the ship.

As for ICUS, CASA won't approve your ops manual without a company policy on its application. There is even some question whether any ICUS beyond the 10 hours required by CAO 82.1 4.1(b) is legal. Some operators require more than the obligitory 10 hours but provide suitable justification in their ops manual. Bank running operators have always subsidised their dodgy operation with the revenue raised from getting suckers into paying for ludicrous amounts of ICUS. Keep in mind that this practice is illegal.

I think that two pilot operations and in particular the logging and legalities of ICUS are some of the most misunderstood regulations in aviation. Don't rely on prune as a reference. Read your regs alongside your company ops manual and in the absence of answers, consult your friendly CASA FOI. If they give you an answer and it seems somewhat questionable get it in writing so they can't put you in prison for it later on!

Sorry about rambling!