PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Absence Management Program
Old 4th May 2001, 11:39
davidmccracken

Mr Rongotai,

You ask me for verifiable evidence. Verifiable evidence is based on situations that have happened before. Each situation is unique. If I knew what the problem was then maybe I coud do the research. You yourself say you do not know what the underlying motive is behind this repot. I quote,

(a) there is a deeply seated management culture of mistrust of employees; or

(b) there are budget line by line approaches to cost control which take no account of the inter-related nature of the system under review;

(c) management are fixated on the 3% of abusers and don't care how much damage they do to their relationship with the other 97% in order to eliminate them.

My 'guess' is answer C but I would not put it so bluntly. If you would like to know how I would put it, I can tell you but it really isn't interesting. Answer A is a worlwide situation in every industry and you should not take it personally.

You ask me what my point is. Here it is.

Irrespective of the profession you are in there are management and there are the workers. Management RARELY trust the workers and workers RARELY trust management. In the airline industry, pilots are workers and as such will be subject to the same scrutiny as any other worker.

That is my point.

Why the honest 97% of you are getting wound up about a policy that is going to disappear as quickly as it arrived is a little beyond me.

May I digress?

You are quoting the increased risk to the fare paying public (and presumably those that lie beneath your flight path) by reporting to work a little sicker than you should be.

However, psychological problems effect people doing risky things more than medical problems. I would rather fly in an aeroplane piloted by a pilot with mild flu symptoms than in one piloted by a person who has returned from a trip to find his / her wife / husband in bed with his best mate or one that has found his / her 14 year old daughter pregnant to her drug dealing boyfriend or one that has had his / her dog run down by a bus that morning.

Do you guys call in sick when this happens???

Just a thought.

Hope my point is clearer.

Thanks for being polite enough to ask me what my point is when you didn't find it clear. Too many people in these chat forums assume too much and have a tendancy to go off at a tangent.

[This message has been edited by davidmccracken (edited 04 May 2001).]