PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Bye", "Cheers", "Have a good weekend"
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2005, 07:26
2 sheds

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Freebird

I have a great deal of sympathy with your view. I don't have any problem with a cheery "goodbye" if the frequency is not busy and it's a "matey" sort of environment where you hear the same voices every day. BUT the problem is that the pleasantries become ingrained and pointless. The pilot making initial contact does not know how active it is and furthermore neither party could probably really care less if the other has a good day!

Case in point - airprox in a TMA, pilot made incorrect report not noticed by ATC, everyone wishing everyone alse good morning and one of the factors being a high workload with busy RT. Worth considering how many seconds of RT time was being wasted with pleasantries. I am not against them in the right circumstances but I would suggest that that environment is not one.

Similarly - poor RT habits generally, mainly from pilots, but to some extent ATC - in a class G scenario. When it's not busy, no problem, but suddenly when it gets busy it becomes a major factor in working efficiently or the whole thing turning into a can of worms.

Achtung

You say...

"I bet you're the same person that doesn't give way at a junction because it's "your right of way"? "

Don't quite follow the analogy - are you one of the clowns who tries to get me to drive out across your bows at a junction when there is no traffic problem, thus encouraging me to collide with the other vehicle from my right (UK) or kill the cyclist overtaking you on your left? And all because you are too idle to turn the wheel and get on with the job?

There's another thread, perhaps!