PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWQUAY
Thread: NEWQUAY
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2005, 13:38
GROUNDHOG

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The news today is that the airport will be mothballed in 2007 and the EFA is going to Scotland.

I have posted on this in the Air Southwest thread but here goes again.

The airport ( civilian) is owned by the Council and they have only vague ideas about running the airport or how to develop it. The best case would be if the airport were sold to someone that does, someone that understands what other revenue the site can produce.

Newquay was on the map long long before Brymon, I worked for Westward Airways in 1966 which was possibly the forerunner of Brymon and even we were latecomers. You need to go back many years before that.

Newquay is not in an ideal position, if you live in the area of Cornwall east of say Bodmin it is almost as quick to go to Exeter. Not enough traffic can be generated from the rest of Cornwall to develop a significant and viable route newtork. It will always support a limited number of routes, especially to London if the night sleeper is cancelled, the airport has to make better use of the routes it does have and find other activities to bring in the cash. Never forget as well business is of course very seasonal.

There is plenty that can be done here but I feel nothing will change until the owners shape up or ship out.