PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training in Spain
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2005, 15:42
Bertie Bassett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smith,

Not so. The CAA will not accept a CPL skill test from a Spanish JAA Approved FTO. The bit in italics below is the response I received from the CAA Policy section about such a situation. I did the UK ATPL exams and am doing the IR at a JAA (not CAA) Spanish Approved Flight School. The CPL course I'm looking at doing in the UK.

JAR-FCL 1.065(a)/2.063(a) states that applicants for a licence shall demonstrate the completion of all requirements for licence issue to the Authority of the State of Licence issue. There is also provision in 1.065(b)/2.065(b) to allow applicants who have commenced training under the responsibility of one Authority may be permitted to complete the requirements under the responsibility of the other Authority, and that the Authorities shall agree the 'State of Licence issue'.

However, dependant on the law in the other member state will determine as to whether or not another State will accept this provision or not. Some other JAA States may insist that if an applicant has commenced training in that State, they must continue training and complete all requirements in that same State. Other states law prohibits the acceptance of our UK JAR exams etc..

>From the UK CAA's point of view our policy at present is as follows:-

Where an applicant has passed the JAR-FCL Theoretical Knowledge Examinations in the UK and wish to complete flying training at a JAA Approved FTO in another JAA Member State, we would have no objection with this. However, our policy is that we would expect the State in which you complete your flying training (Spain in this case) to be the State of licence issue. We would not be willing to allow you to complete flying training in Spain with the intention of being issued with a UK JAR-FCL CPL(A).

But, as mentioned above there needs to be an agreement to this effect between both JAA Member States, therefore whilst we have no objection you will need to confirm with the Spanish CAA that they will accept a pass in the UK JAR-FCL ATPL(A) exams (once completed) towards the issue of a Spanish JAR-FCL licence. Also confirm with them that they are happy to be the State of Licence issue and agreeable with your proposal. I would suggest that you get written confirmation from them to that effect.

Of course if a Spanish JAR-FCL licence is issued, you may at a later date apply for a Change of State of licence issue to the UK subject to the normal residency or occupational ties as stated in JAR-FCL 1.070.

The above is on the assumption that you wish to complete flying training at a Spanish JAA Approved FTO and not a UK JAA Approved FTO in Spain (i.e Flight Training Europe SL in Jerez who are approved by the UK CAA). If it is the case that you wish to complete a CPL modular course of flying training at Flight Training Europe, as they are approved by us then we would have no objection and you would upon completion be issued with a UK JAR-CPL(A).

You can do a rating at any JAA Approved FTO, so the IR would not be problem. The CPL skill test is not for a rating.

Hope this helps anyone else contemplating where to do the CPL/IR modules.

[edit for formatting]

Last edited by Bertie Bassett; 16th Nov 2005 at 15:53.