PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Scampton closing before it opens?
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2005, 01:02
Roadster280

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems to me that if the station had been on "Care and Maintenance" in the first place, the imminent need to replace every life support system on the camp wouldn't be there. Let the place go, and yes, everything needs renewing.

Time and time again, the MOD makes such an arse of these things. Being an ex-squaddie with the benefit of RAF exposure, I would have to say that the MOD have been short sighted over the years, except in RAFG. Bruggen and Gutersloh now Army barracks. Good. Runways still there if needed. Hangars make great garages.

But in UK, we are apparently about to close Coltishall and St Mawgan, while reopening Scampton. Why?

Even if the radar heads etc are on the East coast, at 300,000,000 metres per second, it doesn't take very long to get a radar picture in Cornwall. Or Akrotiri for that matter.

Why must we take these ideal military establishments, and dispose of them?

Little Rissington Business Park my arse. It's an airfield in the Cotwolds. Like Kemble. Like South Cerney. Like Hullavington. Theyre all national assets, but how many of them are we using properly, while retaining ****holes like Blandford Camp and Bulford.

Grrr. Just glad I don't pay my tax there any more. GWB can squander it, but at least they have the Base Realignment and Closure Commission to look at things half sensibly.

Rant over. Sorry for you all.