PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police Aviation...............safety problem or not ?
Old 13th Nov 2005, 06:28
jayteeto

Location: Liverpool based Geordie, so calm down, calm down kidda!!
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Tigs, still disagree!! If the observers become crew in the future and aircraft nav is handed to them, then yes, this scenario could be dangerous.
You misunderstand my words....... At the moment, as the rules are NOW, the PILOT is responsible for the position of the aircraft. If the aircraft was to be lost, it would be the fault of the pilot. The crew recognition by the CAA argument is a totally separate issue. When this rule changes, then potentially this thread changes. What you have said is EXACTLY what I am talking about. There has been a 'creep of percieved responsibility'. When we fly in merseyside, 'assist' would work something like this:
"JT, we need to go to XYZ on a heading of 120, 3 miles"
"OK, I am routing around the prison avoid and everyone look out for the mast at ABC"
In other words they tell me where the target is, but I am responsible to get there safely. If a pilot believes that there is potential of a 'bong' of airspace, they should not blindly follow where the bobbies are directing them. That is why you are employed and paid all this money ( ), your experience and CAPTAINCY!!!!!!!!!