PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - pay again for a new t/r!!!!
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2005, 16:18
MadDogDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may not have expressed my point properly. Please allow me to elaborate.

This whole "Pay your own Type Rating" thing is not exactly fair the way it is being implemented at the moment.

*If you have to pay yourself, why is it that you do not have a choice of Training Provider. You are not free to choose your own TRTO. You have to use one of the "PREFFERED", "APPROVED" or "Designated" TRTOs by the airline.....so much for free market.

*In order to supply a recognised type rating course a training organization has to get CAA (or whatever national equivalent authority) Approval. They need to have a TRTO cert. an approved syllabus in compliance with Jar.FCL requirements, use Certified Simulators each with a valid STD Cert. and the course must be given by SFIs and or TRIs rated instructors. All Proficiency checks are done with an TRE/SFE rated checkperson. So in theory they all should comply with LEGAL requirements. If what's really important is the TYPE RATING per se.

*If the theory behind prefered TRTOs is that they impart a Type Rating course tailored to a particular company then this particular company should foot the bill. Or at least the part that customises the procedures to their use!

*On the matter of the CAA banning selfsponsored TPs, I agree it does not fall within their supervisory tasks. But, it is a labour issue, hence it does have a case in labour courts (as will a few Dublin Based pilots soon demonstrate, hopefully). A pilot job is still a job and there is no reason for normal rules not to apply.

*Our profession has changed, that's a given. There's nothing we can do about it and should not try to turn back the clock. Gone are the "Catch me if you can" days. That's a reality we have to face and get along. But the system should work it should be realistic and fair. People's perception of our job strangely enough has not kept up with the changes. How often doesn't it happen to all of us that when someone asks :"What do you do for a living", and you tell them you are a pilot, they react as if you swim in money. They still have the perception that the job is glamorous and overpaid. That we sleep in 5 star hotels on long layovers in exotic destinations. How far from the truth
I believe this misconception is partly responsible for the lack of affirmitive action by labour authorities.

*If airlines want you to pay for your TP, OK. But they should also give you the liberty to choose whichever TRTO (that complies with the LEGAL requirements) you want. After all do we live in a totalitarian state? Why should we have to put up with dictators.

No one should get their cake and eat it too!