PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Management
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2005, 10:16
7gcbc
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:

"you can't just pretend this stuff from 9-5 you must be it."

Ah , but Chimbu, how they try and try and try............and still get it wrong.

It is so obious to me how modern "management" very often falls short of the simple stuff, over the last few years the main types of management taught on the various "Xmas bauble" MBA courses are in a word, not worth the paper they are written on.

Certainly most of the new styles of management I have come across are based on bullying, threats , blame culture and some bizzare artifical "team" dreamt up by FAR (Human resources rephrased to indicate F*** All Resources), if I see a company slogan or mission statement that combines the words "passionate" or "value people" .

I run a mile.

teams evolve naturally on mutual respect , sincerity, trust and a willingness to help and look out for you collegues, neither of which are part of the modern management technique, which cannot co-exist with this model. You cannot artifically force a team to work unless they want to, and you certainly cannot conjure up sincerity through threat.

Chimbu is right, you can't learn this (at least not from an MBA course) it has to come naturally and confidently, there is nothing wrong with confidence, but with it must come humility and self-doubt, otherwise you are a conceited ******.

which sadly most are.

I've been around long enough to spot these techniques, and they still don't impress me.