PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cholesterol
Thread: cholesterol
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2005, 04:23
Fountain Pen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well like most things...here's a curve ball from left field, and like lots of issues in medicine the jury is still out as they say...

Reading Health article the other day and they were talking about cholesterol and the link between low cholesterol and Parkinson's...I thought you must be kidding...

Is your cholesterol too low it says...Low LDL is good for the heart...but new reaserch states that too low a LDL increases a persons risk to Parkinsons...

I suppose it could make sense...Parkinsons is a disease of the nervous system...cholesterol is vital (as we can't live without it) for prividing substance for the Meylin Sheath...so could it be also be it plays a part in MS as well...

I'm no doctor, but it sure made me think if there is any connection...my cholesterol was anywhere between 7.5 and 6.5, so the doc's say I should have it lower so I use 10 mg of Lipitor and I am at about 5.0 now which I'm happy with...

But one cardiologist told me I should be on 80 mg and get it completely down to a really low level...I kind of looked at him strangely as I said we need cholesterol for a healthy life...

So what is a good level...the Heart Foundation advocates to be below 5.5 so at 5.0 I figure is ok...so what can I say....