PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Brunei MarkII (Merged).
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2005, 03:24
THINALBERT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote "The DT's and the RE's are being replaced with 6000 hour Captains, some of which it is there first Command...so what?
If the guy is no good he will not get through the course,the training standards overall are good in RBA." Unquote

The "so what" is that when the guy fails his command course there is an even more inexperienced FO waiting to be "given a go." Didn't one very brave FO recently decline a command course because he had the sense to realise himself that he wasn't ready for it - despite the willingness of RBA to let him "have a go?"

Eventually you will have direct entry commands (already looking I am told) and that will upset some FOs who see themselves being passed over as they realise that their shot at a course is not getting any closer.

This inexperience is already causing disruption to line operations and is responsible (at least in part) for the 120 mins ETOPS restriction. Add in low morale, ageing aeroplanes, fatigue, the open knowledge that more captains are working their notice (and even the dalai lama can see the writing on the wall - hell, he is responsible for most of it) and you have a real problem. Other captains have interviews before christmas, rosters are interfered with (prior to publication) by the fleet office and training dept so that noone else has any respite from fatigue. All the holes in the swiss cheese are starting to line up nicely don't you think? A lot of these problems have nothing to do with inexperience and could be sorted by a fair and competent management but it could be the final nail in the coffin if the situation continues as is.

If I was the FSO I would be very worried. Have you replaced the one that resigned recently?

Last edited by THINALBERT; 10th Nov 2005 at 09:32.