PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mango - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 2nd Nov 2005, 21:37
African Tech Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first / second generation accident rate is rising = true – but look at where they are falling out the sky.

A key point in many incidents is Maintenance rather than crews – think about what you do when something fails – in general you “get around it” you don’t fix it and the failure could have been caused by an overworked underpaid hangar guy forgetting to do something (although there’s also an overworked underpaid inspector in the loop).

Take a walk to the engine shop (what’s left of it) – there’s some there that can talk your ears off about JT’s and CFM 56-5 & 7’s – not sure they’re that up on -3’s but SAA don’t have many 733/4/5’s

Will the LCC’s change if no SAA competition = doubt it – will they get “worse” if SAA start undercutting them = probably in order to try and survive.
Will a SAA LCC allow a level playing field = no way.

Are the LCC crews underpaid and overworked ? or is that that SAA crews are overpaid and underworked ?
Have I ever meet an hour builder who has complained he’s flying too much = No
I will be fascinated by this survey – it’s findings and who the comparison is against.

I don’t think I’ve ever meet anyone who’s paid enough – but SAA’s crews I think will have difficulty justifying a rise especially when you consider the money will come in effect from the Government so some could argue the money could be spent on Nurses etc instead.
(OK we all know where it will actually go – but in theory it could get to Nurses etc)

What can you do ? – a step forward might be to stop the “we are pilots so better than others attitude” (not necessarily you – but some) – maybe a pilots / engineers (OK Reduced T, “technicians”) united front would help ?

FWIW – I used to work for freight outfit operating WW2 Daks (some had really seen service) and DC6’s (one had bullet holes repaired) as well as Electras and survey Cessnas etc – none of ours fell out the sky – everyone was part of a team – there was no “we are pilots / you are grease monkeys” and management listened because they were also pilots and grease monkeys – so it’s not so much a function of aircraft age more “corporate ideology” – pissed off pilots and engineers don’t make for safe flight – especially when they don’t understand each other.