PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AC Jazz
Thread: AC Jazz
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2005, 13:16
meaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bustie,

I totally agree with you that aviation in this country is screwed up when a plumber, flight attendant or baggage handler makes more than a pilot.I always said and still believe that the way to combat that problem is to have what construction trades have for example:you get your plumber's ticket......you're automatically part of the union.
Then the union set's the rates i.e PA31 Capt 40000$ per year.
B737 FO.......75000$ per year etc....New company that can't afford to pay the going rates for pilots.....too bad.

Young guy willing to pay to fly,pay for a ppc or fly for poverty wages......cant do it as you have to be a member of the union to have an ATPL.Same will apply for duty times, days off, etc...

Utopic?Of course, but not impossible.

Now back to the subject of that Dash8 in the desert.
Yes they show great numbers and conditions.I agree.

Now having personaly spent time out there I will try to exlain to you why they offer these conditions (hint: there's no free lunch....unless you eat out of the garbage)

1)Look at the map to see who your close neighbours are:
Iraq (war) Iran (!) Saudi Arabia etc....
2) in all these you are an infidel, hated and used as a necessary evil.....and in palces like Saudi you are a TARGET (but you make 4000$ US amonth.......woooohoooo)
3)You are going to have to re-learn how to live your life to fit in
4) go off the runway on landing or something like that you're going to the slammer
5) they can fire you at will for whatever reason and you have no recourse
6) you have no human rights
7)7 months a year it's so hot you can't go out
8)your wife will most likely hate it (unless it's Dubai)
9) you are very very far from your family and friends.

Anyway i'm forgeting stuff but I think it gives you an idea why you make better money over there.
I've been there ,have many friends that are still there and believe me.....when you are afraid for your safety,miss your family,your country,when the company changes your contract and you have no recourse,or you realise that you can actually drive to the closest war,it doesn't matter how big your account is.

You cant compare the M.E to Canada.Although we pay lots of taxes and etc...You still live in a country that has consistently ranked in the top to 5 to live in.
Compare our wages to the U.S or to Europe,adjust it for cost of living and then you can compare.