PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Air Training
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2005, 08:49
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, although the motives for the original post may be a bit suspect, this is an interesting topic. CTC's approach is in contrast to that of almost every other FTO. Who is correct - and who is more likely to survive the next, inevitable, downturn?

My own feeling is that CTC's model is probably the right one for the established, mainstream airline industry. There will never be a national aviation college, paid for out of taxation (and nor, in my opinion, should there be), but there should be an industry-funded training establishment to provide pilots for the major airlines. It doesn't yet exist, but CTC's approach suggests that it might in future - though I doubt that industry will ever fully fund it while people are willing to pay so much to get into this field.

There will always be room for the smaller, bespoke training provider to provide people for smaller airlines and non-airline commercial operators, and to provide the surge capacity in times of heavy recruiting (and to take the pain in times of zero recruiting!), and to provide a way for those who have no desire to fly professionally to get professional qualifications if they want to.

cparker I don't understand your point. This is a UK-based site. Why should it not discuss the UK situation? The fact that the jobs market is currently more difficult elsewhere is irrelevant to this discussion.

Scroggs