PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue are cry babies!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2001, 14:04
stillanfo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Kaptin M et al,

Had to respond. I know this is probably 'sacrilegious', but I am a concerned AN pilot's wife. My husband left to pick up our children and left the computer on PPrune. I decided to sit down with a drink and have a look. I was surprised and sad to see the bitterness and anger on some of the threads. My husband has worked for Ansett for 9 years. We have a mortgage, two children and have a baby due in 10 weeks. When I read some of the posts saying ex-Ansett pilots will not get a job anywhere overseas, it filled me with dread. I was with my husband while he was flying GA aircraft after '89'. Why should he and our children be penalised for something we were not a part of? If he does not get a job with QF or VB, then going O/S is our next option. It fills me with dread to think that we might be ostracised by ex-pat families just because he is ex-An.

Thank-you 'Betelgeuse' for your last post, I had considered, from reading a few of your previous posts, that you were one of the ones I was concerned about. I am glad you clarified your position.

I know you all look at things from the pilot's point of view, but do consider the families of a lot of these men. For the last 2 weeks I have been job searching, I haven't got much hope as who wants to employ a 7 month pregnant woman?

For men who are supposed to stay calm in times of crisis, I worry sometimes about the pilot fraternity. The recent suicide was not the first that has occurred. I know of two others that have occurred in the past two years. A lot of my husband's collegues are ringing him very stressed, many like us with mortgages and small children who were not involved in 89. My husband has had chest pains and shortness of breath due to stress. I fear there may be more casualties before this is over.

I'm sorry if I have over stepped the mark by replying or my reply is considered out of place or not relevant. But do remember it is not just the pilot who ends up O/S, it is also his partner and his children. I hate to think we would not be welcomed by fellow Australians who could make the transition of moving to another country a lot easier.

Regards Concerned Wife