PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator re-current training - what is important to you?
Old 30th Oct 2005, 11:54
greybeard

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thank goodness there are still thinking people out in the "real world".

I have retreated to the status of a full/part time Sim instructor for a variety of Contract Airlines, Western and Asian.
The BARE Munimum is what most pilots want to do, scripted if you please so there are NO surprises, particularly from Asia.
The basic task of an NDB NPA is for some as difficult as a moon shot for NASA, dont allow for wind in proceedure turns, can't do a min wx circuit, the sim is a bit hard for vis I know but I can assist with timing etc, sink rates in the Turn??, use of aileron on T/O and LDG in X-wind, use of more than idle reverse on S/E ldgs on shorter runways?????.
As for real time management and crew co-ord, well there we go.

Basic flying skills are on the way out, AUTOMATION COMPLACENCY has most crews firmly in its grip. what has also emerged is that even using the automatics, the basic geographical flight management is still not real sharp as it is not practiced.

WE FOLLOW THE LINE IN THE NAV OR GPS DISPLAY.

As for picking a map shift on an IRS (no gps update) equip, one in 5 may catch it.
Basic maths have disapeared, cant do a load sheet or fuel calc without a calculator, if an error is put in ??? may miss the "is it close" mental check.

Holding pattern geometry, WHAT'S THAT I was asked??, drift corrections??

Now to actually flying a OEI manual approach and horrors a manual missed aproach, an attack of the vapours comes on.

Ask the Seoux City guys, ask DHL at Bagdad, do we need these skills?? ONLY IF WE WISH TO LIVE ALL THE TIME WE WOULD LIKE.

I know we have highly reliable equip etc but the human side has gone backwards further than the good stuf has gone ahead.

All those who have the misfortune to cross my path will get a wakeup, all I can hope is that it lasts until it is needed

Cheers to all