PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fo's At Loganair
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2005, 10:03
Ambulance 'Charlie Alpha'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Absolutely ecj! Those dark winter NDB approaches into Islay are some of the most 'exciting' I've done in the SAAB. Certainly makes you concentrate and fly bloody good non-precision approaches that's for sure!

Still, nothing will ever beat the night landings on the beach at Barra in the Islander. Although a circling approach to Corfu in crap weather can certainly get the pulse racing a little!

My new employer stated at the time of my sim check that he liked SAAB pilots. The SAAB is first generation EFIS and with a proper coupled FMS. It's a great grounding for jet flying and certainly saved me a lot of pain and anguish during my training.

Infact, apart from the size and EICAS screens, you'd be surprised at the similarity between the 757 and SAAB 340 flight decks. They are roughly the same age of airliner. The Primary flying displays are very similar and the FMS works basically in the same way, albiet with a few 'extras' thrown in on the 757. Worth having a look on airliners.net or something similar at the flight deck of both. I think the SAAB will surprise you if you haven't seen inside one before.

Cheers ACA