PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air New Zealand increase order
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2005, 05:59
Plas Teek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gee, next minute the company will want talks about cherry-picking the best from the two contracts (ANZ/F-dom) from a company point of view.

Oops, too late.

Maybe, ratification will take about 2 years.....say 2008!

I also can't see why the following is his claim to fame! Wouldn't anyone in the same boat have done the same thing?
There was no enemy action!
And it's not like Townsville is in the middle of the Indian Ocean!!

Exerpt from NZ Herald........ 22.10.05
A 22-year-old Rob Fyfe got a call from the Townsville control tower - the Royal New Zealand Airforce officer had to make a decision, and quickly. A Skyhawk jet had flipped on the runway while landing and it was up to him to figure out what to do with it.

With a plane disabled on the runway, other jets overhead had nowhere to land.

Fyfe's cool head while organising cranes and a flatbed truck to move the crippled plane went a long way to make his name among the Air Force top brass.

The United States-produced Skyhawk manual had demonstrated a less delicate method of getting a stricken Skyhawk off the runway: using a bulldozer to push it off into a big hole.

" ... We couldn't afford to do that ... as New Zealanders we had to be a bit more ingenious," said Fyfe.

His work meant the plane eventually flew again, as did the pilot, who was lucky to survive the landing.

It is this sort of nimble decision making that saw Fyfe promoted to Flight Commander in charge of maintenance of the Air Force's Skyhawk Squadron aged 24. End Exerpt

Sounds like the spin-doctors had a go with that bit.