PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mango - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 27th Oct 2005, 21:05
African Tech Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of points for fluffy
738’s are more expensive than 732’s – but SAA are Leasing them – not buying – so using “purchase price” isn’t an accurate picture.
Where’s the Asset ? – almost everything is Leased in – it’s an asset for the lease company but a liability for the airline.
I’ve seem SAT’s maintenance and the guys are GOOD – but they are still pressured to get it out the door – just like the guys at Lanseria .
(actually maybe not as much – in some cases they need a bit more of a push)
SAA doesn’t lease it’s equipment because “it’s the new world norm” – they lease them cause a CEO was tasked with making as much profit as he could in a limited time – selling all the assets and leasing their replacements made this EASY.

It looks argumentative – but is meant as clarification.

If the plan isn’t to use the SAA LCC to kill the other LCC’s and revert to high cost – the SAA management need a few more psychiatrists on staff – It should be the plan cause that would be good business.
It’s also why it shouldn’t be allowed.

I’ll be fascinated by the result of the pilot salary survey – I am definitely of the impression compared with average SA earning they are well above and they seem to have more “disposable” than equivalents abroad – until you get to senior Captains etc who seem to get a salary I’d like no matter which flag carrier you look at.
If anyone is underpaid – look on the hangar floor.

SA NEEDS SAA – the only African nation with a reasonably respected Flag Carrier (although Kenya is getting there) what it doesn’t need is a state owned LCC.