PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mango - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 26th Oct 2005, 19:16
fluffyfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally think that Khaya should stay away from such an endevour, but I can see why he thinks its a good Idea

It is very difficult for SAA to compete (price wise) with the other Airlines in SA, for example, one 737-800 has a price tag of around $40million (USD not R) and one DC9/737-200/MD82 has a price of around $1-2mill, you do the math.

yes SAA is tax payers money, but its also a taxpayers asset, its a modern airline flying the newest equipment out there with all the correct training devices, granted our management are shocking and they are a danger to themselves. Everyone complains about how the taxpayers money is being abused, and it makes my blood boil as well, but what would you like? SAA to dissapear? only have 20-30 year old aircraft flying the skys, with crew that are worked to the bone and payed peanuts while there bosses prosper and think of new ways to save money, ie there maintenance (its happened in other countries already) corner cutting in maintenance will only lead to an accident, its just a matter of time unfortunately.

Unfortunatley if Khaya goes this route, I doubt there will be much expansion in SAA, the low cost carrier will probably get the domestic routes (the rumour is that SAX will be the low cost carrier....flying 737-200's or DC9's) and this means no more intakes of pilots which is a pitty because I know there are many guys/girls out there who would love to fly for SAA. Khaya is no Richard Branson and it scares me that he has the arrogance to act the way he does