PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Fam flights..are they welcome?
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2005, 13:45
la2uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Flt Deck FAM Flts

I agree with the concept of FAM flts, and have taken part in a number of them over the years. My work involves Flt Ops, Dispatch, Ops Control, Navigation, Avionics, Fuel, Payload, Communications and a load inbetween. Combine that with the Dep Ctrl, ATC in all their guises, Airline Ops and Planners and above all, the pilots themselves, and the Flt Deck would become a very busy place and so essential planning is well, ... essential.

Cooperation between all the elements that deliver an aircraft from origin to destination is vital. The crew carry out the delivery, but a lot of other work goes on prior, during and after each and every flight. No-one is more or less important than the next in a chain of professionals resposible for the safety of a million people every day.

In my experience, requested in advance, thru the proper channels, there will be a polite yes or no, and that should be final. The days of on-board, in-flight, ad-hoc requests are sadly no longer with us, but security should never be used as an excuse. Security is paramount. The reason is to keep free people safe. The result is safety in the air and on the ground.

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 11th Nov 2005 at 22:07.