PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Abu Dhabi Britannic
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2005, 00:28
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheery/Verci
What actually happened was you balls’ed up on the CARS
Thanks for affording me the opportunity to give the readers a first hand look at how things work at the UAE ACC.
Here is the text of the letter that was submitted:

And I quote:

"Dear xxxxx (SATCO)
RE; ROSTERED 48-HOUR STAND-BY DUTY
I am writing to request the stand-by duty system be changed. I believe that the current roster is in breach of the CARs, specifically as follows:

The CARs define a Period of Duty
15.10.1.2.1 Period of Duty: The period between the actual commencement of and the actual end of a shift during which an air traffic controller whose licence contains a rating valid at the unit exercises, or could be called upon to exercise, the privileges of the licence at that unit, and includes prescribed breaks, time spent on other duties such as training, airfield inspection, meteorological observations, administrative tasks and any extension of duty. (my bolding)

The definitions go on to define the different types of Duty, of which Stand-by Duty is one, the others being Operational Duty, Night Duty and Break. Then

15.10.1.2.2 No Period of Duty shall exceed ten hours.

So, by definition, a Standby Duty, being one of four types of Duty, cannot exceed 10 hours.

The stand-by system is in further breach at

15.10.1.2.3 There shall be an interval of not less than ten hours between the conclusion of one Period of Duty and the commencement of the next Period of Duty. This interval may be reduced by up to 20 minutes solely for the purpose of orderly shift handover.
The LATSI also defines standby shifts as duty. Furter, I believe the current standby system allows for breaches of my (and others) employment contract. However, that matter will be raised via the contract manager.

I am making this request purely in the interest of safety. I find it impossible to prepare to work for a particular shift or time of day, when that time could be anywhere within a 24-hour period. If I carry out a normal daily routine, I cannot be well rested for a night duty. If I prepare for a night duty, I will inevitably be tired for a day duty, should one occur the following day. Therefor, I cannot be well rested for any particular duty requirement. Surely the CAR duty limitations are meant to prevent this. It is their reason for existence, both in intent and execution. I am sure other ATCOs the same way about fatigue, and may even have presented for work in an unfit state, too afraid of the consequences to declare themselves unfit. This is an invidious position to be placing staff."
The letter goes on to suggest possible solutions.

Now, Cherry, if the case was that I had somehow "ballsed up", how do you think the response would look? Would it have looked like this

And I quote:

"(memo letter head from contract manager)

Thank you for your letter dated 13 April.
With reference to your letter to xxxx xxxxx (SATCO), I was summoned to the DANS office for discussion.
The CARs were discussed, as were the terms of the Serco-IAL contract.
The CARs will be effected as promulgated. The GCAA has stated that the existing roster clearly meets all the requirements as laid down.
Your letter to the SATCO stating you cannot be well rested for any particular duty requirement, has drawn attention to a clause in the Serco-IAL Contract which states that personnel should be duly qualified, experienced and suited for the conditions in which you they (sic) respectively employed.
The GCAA interprets that your letter as submitted concerning that you cannot be well rested, contradicts the terms of the contract and considers you are undesirable for service. Serco have been informed by GCAA that should you choose not to withdraw your letter of the 13th in writing, they will insist on your immediate removal from the contract.
Employment as an ATC elsewhere in the UAE will not be approved by the GCAA.
Should you wish to retract your letter, this must be duly completed and forwarded to the SATCO no later than 1430 local time on Wednesday 16th April.
Yours Sincerely,
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxx
Contract Manager."

So, it's quite clear. The SATCO at the time, the now CATCO, couldn't even formulate a response. If, as you say, there was some sort of misinterpretation (of what is quite clearly a breach of the law), would you write back pointing out how the writer was wrong, or would you run to the DANS and then issue a dismissal threat? I wonder if ICAO are interested in how things work in the UAE? I wonder if other countries who use Serco are aware of how complicit they are in such things?
went in with guns a blazing and made an arse of yourself
So if that's guns blazing, I'll go he. Now who has made an arse of themselves? Nothing like a few facts to clear things up. Will your boss be pleased you are causing his dirty laundry to be aired? Does he ever wonder why he keeps getting knocked back by ICAO for a job?

BTW; I have a job, thanks. A very good job in a fantastic part of the world. How about you? Are you just cranky because bog-rat controllers get paid more than you ? (onya Stew)

Last edited by ferris; 23rd Oct 2005 at 02:22.