PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA ATPL Distance Learning Ground School
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2005, 21:24
Glide Perfectionist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
egld0624

Interesting and well thought of questions. I shall do my best to answer. I did the OAT distance learning package and acheived good passes, so I will try to give you my opinions.

First, answering your specific queries:-
1. "What is the typical turnaround time from emailing instructors at OAT with queries?"
My replies to the few times I did email were within 2 days. They were also happy to discuss problems over the telephone.

2. "Does anybody have experience of using the OAT Virtual College and how does the forum compare with that at Bristol which looks both user-friendly and accessible to even non-Bristol students?"
I never had need to use virtual college.

3. The content of OAT manuals has been revised since I started (2003) and alot of needless information has been chopped.

So, overall I was quite happy with the distance learning package as one would expect from a professional school. But what do you want to do afterwards?

If you want to complete all your training by the modular route then you may want to choose a single FTO who can take you all the way. I have completed my CPL, however due to policy decisions within OAT, I now have to wait until May to start an IR, so I will have to split my training and go to Bristol.

It is worth researching how far OAT or CABAIR or whoever are willing to take you through the modular route so that you do not get caught by unexpected policy changes.