PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bill tough on mercenaries, but not 'freedom fighters'
Old 18th Oct 2005, 10:26
African Tech Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2cents worth – you should all write individually whilst at the same time arranging a “united front” – times short.

I’ve only just got round to reading the proposed act and just realised what could be it’s consequences.
I was involved in a small way getting a helicopter to Sri Lanka for the tsunami relief – there is a “conflict” in that country so Technically under section 5 (1) it could be said I was involved in the “rendering” of humanitarian assistance for which I would have needed an Authorisation.
True – for what I actually did it would be stretch for them “to get me” – but had I gone as engineer (or pilot or ops if I had those qualifications) it would definitely have applied – despite the fact I am only a resident and the helo isn’t SA reg.

Interestingly I would also need SA to give me permission to join the armed force of the country which I am a citizen of – but if I actually fought I would be breaking SA law – Section 4 – any Yanks living here still on reserve ? get called up for a tour and your in trouble here.

It also seems to me they (the SA govt) gets to determine too much – maybe the UN should be mentioned as the people who determine if an “armed conflict” is in place or not.

As with most laws it needs reading on a deep’ish level thinking about how it could be interpreted as affecting you – don’t just look at the words think how the could be interpreted by a lawyer who doesn’t like you.