PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue bias against older women
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2005, 19:03
flyblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In AF we have "Tutors". Tutors are experienced CC, who are trained (a 1 day course) for "passing on" knowledge and tricks to new recruits mostly, but even people coming back from maternity leave (some maternity leaves can last years, when it's more children in a row) or a long illness.
Tutors don't earn more money than other CC. It's all about the pleasure of being helpful to collegues, and help them avoid the mistakes we made out of lack of experience, and not to waste time tying to find out things we need to know. And not only on the job's technical side. Since AF is a very big company, I realised that it is very useful to explain a little the way it works, which office is where and what they do, where to go if you need a visa/lost your announcement book/need the uniform store/hours of the cafe and restaurant/how to reach the Training Center/telephone number of the on-call CC Manager etc etc.
Lately AF also recruited lots of people coming from other companies, so we had 30, 35 or 45 years old juniors, and they had to be tutored too Of course it didn't start with "T H I S-IS-A-F I R E- E X T I N G U I S H E R " in their case. But they all found having a tutor very useful, since they had to completely change the way they worked, which sometimes can be very tricky since you assume lots of things are done a certain way just because it's the way they were done in your previous mob.