PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Air Training
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2005, 14:02
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 204 Likes on 72 Posts
Yes there are some airlines which express a preference for Integrated students. However, time and again, it has been retold how that they have neglected their espoused preference and hired a Modular guy. In addition there are many airlines that don't care how your first 180hrs were structured.

You also have to consider the fact that there is a great deal more to an aviation career than simply getting into a household name airline with 200hrs. A great many pilots out there in those airlines started in much smaller outfits and many of them positively abhor Integrated students who, as the schools themselves boast long and loud, have been trained specially for airline training and progression.

A further consideration to your recommendation of the most expensive Frzn ATPL course in the country is that some people just can't afford it. Or that to stretch to it would leave them dangerously indebted.

There simply is no 'best' option. Just different ones with differing pros and cons. As debated ad infinitum on these forums.

If indeed there was another Sept11th event tomorrow then ALL 200hr aspiring pilots would be knackered. Arguably it is better to be in that unhappy state owing £40k than £70k.

I'm sure you found the groundschool instructors fantastic. As are the ones at many other Modular schools. And at a substantial discount.

As I said in my post with which you disagreed. I believe I would prefer, were I to be starting out again, to be at an excellent Modular school with less than 10 aircraft and an instructor to student ratio of 1:2. I have come to this opinion after years spent in the flying training business at both an Integrated and Modular school.

The large FTO's can seem like sausage factories and the aircraft and your instructor slots are harder to come by than rocking horse manure.

The fact that some airline express a preference which they sometimes don't stick to is the slightly intangible reward you get for the very tangible higher fees.

Cheers