PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue bias against older women
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2005, 00:30
SkySista

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the solution is to overlook the real value of a proper training, that takes time to build, and experience, which is given also by working side to side with more experienced collegues who pass on their knowledge, and make you see only the "funny" side of flight, forget safety!
Capt, gotta disagree with you there mate. I'm not saying anyone who is experienced, either young or old, won't do a good job. But it's nonsense to say that just because someone is older and 'experienced' (thus some draw conclusion 'wiser') that they will ALWAYS do a better job than someone who is perhaps younger and newer to the job. SOmetimes fresh perspective is an advantage.

How many of you have worked with an old Captain who was very experienced but alsoa right old b@stard precisely because s/he "have so much experience and I always do it this way so I must know better"

You have to evaluate each individual on their merits, experience isn't the ONLY criteria to go by; sure it helps but if that experience isn't relevant or the training actually goes contrary to what the new job/company requires, then choosing someone less experienced may be the option, as they haven't been so "imprinted" with previous procedure etc...

Unfortunately the airline recruiting process is inherently "unfair" as the assessors have to make judgements/decisions about people in a very short time.

Too bad for these ladies that on the occasion they applied they were unsuccessful. I am curious to know how many times they tried again, or whether they were rejected just the first time. If so, sounds like someone may have been a bit sensitive, in my opinion... who knows the next time round they may have been just what DJ was looking for at the time.

Just look at Craic, she got the knockback from EK how many times? 5 or more? Yet on her most recent attempt she obviously was what they wanted, so she got in. SImple. A bit of perseverance goes a long way. Perhaps DJ wanted to see if these ladies wanted the job badly enough to keep trying...