PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue bias against older women
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2005, 20:34
ozskipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ozcabincrew says:

Qantas has a changing image and now there are a lot of young enthusiastic crew coming online, some a little too young and 'stupid' (first job out of school) if you ask me,
I'm not sure stupidity is reserved solely for the young and just out of school. I've worked with many "experienced" colleagues who have all the common sense of a headless chicken.

I think its slightly inevitable that with the increase in casuals that you attract younger workers. Seemingly, the instability is easier to absorb when you don't have the committments that you seem to accumulate when you get a few years on you!

but the stereotype of Qantas being old, rude and grumpy is simply that, a stereotype. I worked with a 20yo F/A who was great, hard worker and i also worked with a lady who had been with the company since the 60's and she was one of the most enthusiastic, hard working crew on that trip, so it all varies depending on the individual. People just need to open their eyes a bit more and get their own opinion rather that of someone else.
I don't necessarily disagree that there is a general perception that Qantas has an older workforce. I also think that there is probably some reasonable grounds to suggest that we may be a bit grumpy and a bit rude. These perceptions don't just appear - it's usually from experience. I do think that the perceptions of Qantas are changing, but it'll be a cold day in hell before we're seen as a fun airline!

Why do you think DJ training is harder? don't forget that at DJ, you only had to train on two or so types of aircraft. At Qantas short haul, the F/A's are trained/examined on 7 different types of aircraft, that's a big difference.
Hmm, this isn't the first time I've heard that the DJ EP training is more intense than ours. Maybe there's something in that.....