PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Cross Cockpit Qualifications
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2005, 15:55
Miriam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keg (son of Geoff),

I don’t work in oz, where I work we have about 100 incidents a month with a fleet size of 50-150 young wide bodies, the incidents are collated and distributed to all crew on a regular basis, but I am not stupid enough like Calligula to mouth off at others just because they work harder for less money.

Australia, and to be honest with you it is a benign flying environment, its not a 3rd world country, English is the primary language, and terrain, known/unknown traffic and weather is nothing compared to other places around.

Aviation safety is a passion of mine, I take a lot of interest in what happens in Australia.

I am very aware of the LOSA findings at QF as are many of others out there, and self induced threats, or staying in an environment where the corporate culture is such that nothing is done once an error occurs significantly increase the threat to safety.

I would have personally thought that J* would have a lower incident rate than the long haul fleet at QF does, they do more sectors than long haul, normalizing the data should produce more errors from long haul. If it doesn’t something its a statistical abnormality as people working in a familiar environment regularly are less error prone than those the infrequently work and work in unfamiliar environments.

The SOPs at QF are very slack, they play importance on old historical procedures (like calling altimeters every 10000 ft in a glass cockpit) or doing procedures which are not in accordance with manufacturers procedures because that what they did on the XXX aircraft.

There are a lot of good people in QF, however it is a big organization with the cadets that were promoted over the years to take up management positions don’t really know there is another way of doing things.

One of the best safety improvements for QF was the demise of AN, not that they knew everything either, but sure gave the safety department an extraordinary improvement in skills and experience.

Anyway I hope the J* boys get their 330's and 350's, I don’t need to get a grip, I have been outside Australia, I know what reality is like, I work for a living.