PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The old birds get the Virgins worm!
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2005, 15:15
sinala1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I happened to be on duty one Sat morning here in BNE when B727 ANA blew an engine just after rotation and was still on fire when it landed
If thats the one sometime around 1990 or so (forgive me if the dates are not entirely correct - it was the #2 engine that blew, a/c came back in and pax were evacuated on the runway?) one of the F/A's onboard that aircraft holds (and has done for quite some time - over 4 years) a position with VB, and is now quite senior in the CC training department.

Agreed 100% with SkySis - I too went for EK but was knocked back (more than once too I hasten to point out). I can conjure up any number of discrimination theories (age, height, weight, sexuality, teeth not being 100% perfect etc) but I did not turn around and sue them - I simply accepted the fact that I was not right on the day(s).

At the end of the day everyone is entitled to their opinion on this matter - I am not here to belittle anyone elses nor have mine belittled - but my opinion is not only that justice has been denied to VB; but also the precedence this sets implies that the process of recruiting the people you feel are most appropriate for your company is no longer an option for any company that does not wish to be sued on entirely unfounded grounds. There is no proof that these ladies were denied employment on the basis of their age and just because they were experienced crew from another airline does not mean that they are automatically entitled to any CC job they apply to!

I am not in any way at all condoning any form of discrimiation against any person or group of people, however I do believe that in this case justice has not been served.