PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dodgie Flying
Thread: Dodgie Flying
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2002, 19:23
Willie Nelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would just like to point out a reality that most of us are probably already aware of.... .. .When we, as pilots or engineers for that matter, make a conscious decision to break the rules AND just as importantly, when we neglegt to maintain the appropriate and legal standards of safety through lack of training, knowledge, practice, etc. One consequence emerges.. .. .The PROBABILITY of incident, accident and/or death or serious injury simply increases.. .. .What is insidious about this is that the act of bending/breaking the rules, once succesfully completed, simply acts to reinforce the behavior. . .. ."I do it all the time, it's never been a problem yet" syndrome. .. .Only a fool would insist that experience doesn't highlight the potential pitfalls of such indiscretions, but experience alone as a pilot does not make us experienced rule makers. . .. .Drawing a line in the sand of our own, especialy when done as a solo operator, without the benefits of research, statistics and the lack of commercial pressures can only be considered gambling at best.. .. .I believe that we do not have the right to decide when to increase the risk of death on our passengers, minimal as that increase may seem. Especialy when the only benefit to us is to save us or our operator a minute here or there, or 0.1 from the M/R. An EXPERIENCED operator should already have many other ways to do this within the rules.. .. .And just for the record I couldn't give a stuff about the insurance, if I bend an airframe and there is any chance that it will be found out that I also bent the rules the PROBABILITY is that my career will be over.. .. .I am no saint but that's my philosophy.....