PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What makes professional flying now so great?
Old 11th Oct 2005, 14:58
Jetstream Rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both posts above seem reasonable and well written. I wouldn't call either "moaners" as they make their case well. "Moaners" are those who can't see what they have and can only see others.

I think comparing flying to other jobs is worthwhile - what else would you be doing instead? If you have a choice of biscuits or cheese, then you can compare them. If you try to compare flying and a job you will not be able to do, then it is not a valid comparison.

You do have to decide what you want in life - if it is pots of cash, then you have to put the time in and maybe sacrifice your family life too, unless you are very lucky. Most jobs become fairly routine after a while as well, and I do think it is important to have other interests besides flying.

When I was off sick last year, I missed being at work. Now I am back, I am not unhappy to be there.

I had to make a descision a few years ago as to whether I wanted to be a Pilot or an Engineer, I was offered both jobs. The Engineering job was a good one and so was the flying job. I decided that I could become an Engineer if I was a Pilot, but it would be very difficult to become a Pilot after a few years of Engineering (cost, age etc). I had to give it a go, and I am very pleased I have.

I have met many Captins who are close to retirement and there are basically three types. Those who cannot wait to go, those who have had a good career but feel it is time for a rest, and those who don't want to stop. It all depends on your personality and your drive. If your drive evaporates, you will become the first, most people become the second and a lucky few the third. If you are the second, you are no worse off than anyone else, the third you are very lucky and the first - well you would have become that anyway if you are that sort of person.