PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What makes professional flying now so great?
Old 11th Oct 2005, 14:13
Maximum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying short haul, is there any opportunity to see the wonderful places, or do you stay in the airport as the aircraft gets turned around?
A 'typical' day would be four sectors - eg, out and back to a European destination, followed by out and back to a shorter destination, either closer European or UK. The turnround time varies between say 45 minutes down to 20 minutes. You stay on the aircraft, and get on with the job of refueling, doing the walkround and setting all the nav aids up for the return etc. Try to get a bit of food down your neck as well. Very rushed and busy! You won't be doing any sightseeing.

If you're nightstopping, by the time you get to the hotel and have something to eat, there's not much time left for anything before you're thinking about getting some sleep and doing it all over again next day. And remember the strict alcohol regulations.

As for the view, in my opinion it's better from a light aircraft, down low. Most of the time above thirty thousand feet it's pretty hazy. Anyway, you really don't get that much of a chance to look at the view. At low level, you're too busy, or looking out for other traffic, and in the cruise, it's hazy. Yes sure, now and then you have a bit of a 'sight see', but really that aspect of the flying is much less than you'd think.

Of course, I'm not denying that crossing the Alps or whatever on a clear morning is an impressive sight, but I'm not sure it would sustain you for a whole career!

I refer you back to wanting to be a professional, skilled aviator. Bit like being a crusty old seadog. As you get older, all the other novelties will wear off, and it's this desire to be an airman that will keep you going. Or not. The desire to operate the equipment to the highest professional level. That's the bit you need to look for in yourself in my opinion. If that doesn't do it for you, think very carefully about what you want to do.

Obviously all just my own opinion, in the end you've got to follow your heart.

Last edited by Maximum; 11th Oct 2005 at 14:29.