PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What makes professional flying now so great?
Old 11th Oct 2005, 06:06
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every pilot has their own reasons why they fly. Every person has their own threshold of tolerance for that which must be endured in order to achieve one's goals. Make no mistake, there are many pitfalls and difficult situations associated with the life of a working pilot. If you want it enough, these problems will be overshadowed by the rewards that flying gives to those who give it their fullest effort and are devoted to their craft. It is not a good career choice for everyone. But if you feel that you MUST do it, or cannot really see yourself doing something else, then by all means, dive right in. You might be just the right kind of person.

I sure envy Old Smokey his unequivocal refusal to acknowledge any negative aspects! I sometimes regret that I lack this ability. Yet I trudge on regardless, with the realization that a job, a career or a life is only as good as you make it, given the circumstances and the tools you have to work with. For myself, I expect that the rewards will continue to outweigh the negatives for some time to come. To date, this IS the best work I've done and the best job I've had. Of this I am certain. Best of success to you in whatever you choose to do, jhorton.

Best regards,

Westhawk