PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The old birds get the Virgins worm!
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2005, 03:38
Buster Hyman

Evertonian

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
I still say that the employer has the right to employ whoever it chooses
How many disabled, gay Aborigines work at DJ? I guess you got your wish!

From the outset, DJ did not want any "baggage" from AN. They grabbed a token amount so that it wasn't too obvious but I think, in general, their plans were for a whole new "mould" of staff. This, in itself, isn't a bad thing but, if you advertise for positions that people are suitably qualified for, you have to expect that the suitably qualified people will question the reasoning for their missing out. Don't forget, there was a glut of qualified staff available at the time.

Regardless of whether an employer should have a right to pick who they want, the laws of the land decrees that they are not allowed to discriminate. It was good enough for the court to determine that they had discriminated, hence the verdict.

Experience is a funny word isn't it? Many interpretations, many variations, you need experience to determine the meaning of experience! If you need to have evacuated a "burning wreck" to be considered experienced then I imagine there are very few pilots you would consider to be any good in a similar emergency. How many cars have you totalled? I've totalled one and done serious damage to about a dozen others, does that make me a more experienced driver? Want a lift?