PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia: Training, Licence Conversion, Job Prospects
Old 11th Oct 2005, 00:55
LandOnePOBNone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trap - “Wrong.” Perhaps, but only in the minor details at worst. The basis of his/her posts is spot on.

Daedal_Oz - You should flag recruiting as your preferred next posting. We used to use the same justification 20 years ago for committing one self to the services long term – just the numbers have changed.
I had a great time in the service and it was good to me however it was a young persons game and still is. After you had reached ceiling rank, for most of us that was SQNLDR/MAJ/LCDR or perhaps one up from there, the flying dried up and that sparkling career lost it’s lustre. Once the days of quiet desperation flying the ‘chipboard bomber’ had set in, we all calculated our pensions, applied for all the jobs we could and counted down the hours until we could resign/retire.

Putting your SQNLDR/MAJ/LCDR package into perspective is important here and is something that Trap tried to do. Not too many SQNLDR/MAJ/LCDR are single without a family and can redeem the benefit of ‘free’ health care. Most SQNLDR/MAJ/LCDR who are long term posted in an area live in their own house, their partners demand it – there goes the value of the housing benefit. Super 23%, mmmm… If it’s true and there isn’t some very creative accounting here, I think the recently elected federal pollies who now get 9% might have something to say about that in the future.

So Trap was right, in reality you get about the same as the rest of us with that level of experience or greater.

Regards

LandOnePOBNone

Career Highlight – First Jindavik solo