Thread: August 24th
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2005, 02:53
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pass-A-Frozo

For no other reason but to keep the logic tidy;

You cost hundreds and thousands of Australian's their jobs by your actions, through your greedy selfishness.
All I'm saying is you '89 bunch post on here like you are a bunch of hard done by angels. You cost hundreds and thousands of Australian's their jobs by your actions, through your greedy selfishness.
assumes that their was only one participant in the "battle" and that the "greedy selfishness" of the pilots was the prime motivation. They would agree that there was a bit of that amongst some but as I understand it better rostering and their utilisation was the core of the issue.

You cant have a "fight" without two (2) adversaries.

The returnees and blow ins went back for more money than they were previously and as I understand it on the same pattern that the AFAP had been trying to negotiate for several years.

What was the motivation of the airlines and Govt that was so desperate that the former refused to negotiate and the latter suborned the Constitution and trashed several dozen laws and statutes.

Watching from the sidelines, and yes I was desperately affected, it was clear there were more than several points at which the airlines and Government would have been able to negotiate a way out.
But all I was seeing was the PM and his benefactor Abeles playing to the lumpen proletariat.

It was always within their power to end it honourably and quickly, but hey, it was never about either of those terms. It was a labour dispute, under a Labor Government, why were they not able to sort it out.

If you want to start laying blame for the economic impact on Australia, then you have to start at least from a 50/50 position, with the proportion increasing towards the airlines and Government from the day they started issuing workers visas as carpenters and bricklayers of which there was and still is a chronic shortage, to allow the blow ins "legal" access.
DIMIA is a bit of a train smash at the moment but one would wonder how they countenanced it at the time without demur, or if they did, who monstered them.

BTW the recession we had to have, was not triggered by it, you should look to Mr Keating and his agenda for that.

So if you are going to put the AFAP in the dock and charge them with economic terrorism, then you must also put Hawke and Abeles in there with them.

The returnees can not claim ignorance of the surrounding labor, social and democratic issues at stake and the blow ins in denying or ignoring the same issues by participating in what can only be immigration fraud to gain entry and a job, stand, IMHO, doubly accused.

Certainly were I to gain access to another country for economic benefit in similar circumstances and by such means, I should have no reason to complain nor could I offer any mitigation, were I to suffer disapprobation at the hands of those whom I had displaced. I would stay very quiet and very much under the radar.

There is no other logical construct possible on the facts.