PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Outlook - Global Warming/climate Change..surely It's Going To Effect Pilots
Old 6th Oct 2005, 16:06
PD210

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice posts,

However, I feel I should have probably omitted my second paragraph in the topic starter. What I really want is to discuss more about the implications of climate change on us as pilots and the future for aviation. To discuss whether it is actually happening or not should perhaps be for another forum on the Greenpeace or Friends of the Earth websites! We all have valid points I think, from objecting to 4x4's and other gas guzzlers, the needless waste that we see these days and the justified point about Mt St Helens giving off more CO2 than you can shake a stick at.

Any engineers out there who may know about engine technology and wether it's actually possible to get a 400pax a/c in the air using hydrogen/electric/chip fat energy!? Oil may well be a finite source (going by current exploration results). It's difficult to say.

Still reckon we could be facing some serious lifestyle changes empowered by governments intent on meeting already agreed Kyoto targets. And one of these may well be a drastic reduction in allowable air travel. I find this very difficult to rule out.

Fate, however, may take it's hand and slowly we will be flying economical aircraft that will not have destructive emissions.

Wishful thinking in an ideal world..

PD210