PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ballot counted: BA Cabin Crew support industrial action if EG300 Imposed
Old 6th Oct 2005, 15:56
TopBunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmm,

I know that the BASSA ballot was for an indication of how many felt strongly enough to support a possible ballot for industrial action, but a 90% return supporting a ballot from those who bothered to respond is significant.

There, however, is a big difference between indicating an intention to strike if called and actually doing it ....BUT .... as demonstrated in 1998?, all it takes is for a few (c.100) cabin crew to man the picket lines, and another 2000 call in sick - partly or even mainly, to avoid conflict with bullies within the union cohorts on return. ie the weaker cc members felt better able to call in sick than face their militant colleagues.

Things have changed since '98?, we now have had various wildcat actions over swipe-in/out, GG, etc over the last few years, furthermore we now have 3 TGWU reps under disciplinary re the recent walkout, we also have (and possibly most significantly, WW at the helm.

I would caution my CC colleagues to beware of the above....

WW will win his first conflict with the unions in BA, if CC are the first, you will lose. In refusing to agree a date to discuss EG300 you are playin ginto his hands. The company will choose when to take on/break a union, it decided in August not to make that the time (under Rod and Mike Street). Now WW is the boss, November would be a bad month to front up against WW over EG300, 'cos Nov is typically a weak month for business travel, and the company will be relishing the challenge.

As Clint would have said...."go on punk, make my day"