PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR Force.... to be or not to be.....
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2005, 07:51
[email protected]

Received 669 Likes on 295 Posts
The interim contract for 2007 (for the 4 flights that MCA run using Bristows helis) is under negotiation at the moment and the clever money is on it to provide the blueprint for a full UK SAR contract in 2012.
The main bidders, to my knowledge are CHC who are offering a full package of different aircraft to meet the differing area requirements and have thought through the need to train pilots if the military stops doing SAR and Bristows who have offered more of what they already provide - S61s on which they claim they can fit a 360 degree radar by the tailwheel.
I think I know who will come in as the cheapest bidder so it remains for the MCA to decide if it wants to continue with pseudo-serviceable aircraft (it is serviceable on the tote right up to the point you ask for it and discover it's U/S and should have been declared that way cos it had an engine out on the hangar floor)or try something different.
The RAFSAR force is being neatly packaged and sent to Valley (where it doesn't fit) which will make it easier to hand over in one lump when the contract is let. If we have to blob up the SARFHQ, both SqnHQs and the OCU, at least do it at a place which has the real estate, the airspace and an excellent weather factor - Chivenor seems to be a top scorer in all categories and it's not in North Wales!!