PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats going on at CATC
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2005, 20:15
Spamcan defender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Johnny, just to basically back-up everything that has been said I will add my own little piece .
Started at the college late '02. Gave up a decent job and moved to Bournemouth from Scotland. Left missus at home (which was hard!) and travelled back as often as I could. To be honest, I feel it was probably better for me to stay there myself as there were no distractions from the bookwork. This is really fundamental stuff and is hard enough without wife/girlfriend etc moaning that your not spending enough time with them.
The courses themselves were quite brainmashing to say the least. I did the old aerodrome courses which I passed first time along with radar skills. Managed to fail Area 1 by a whisker but thankfully passed it on the second attempt. Area 2 was dispatched, again, by the skin of my teeth . I was absolutely over-the-moon to say the least. Unfortunately many of the friends that I had made during my time at CATC fell by the wayside after being chopped. In my case, during the time at college I bought a house and a new car against my better judgement but the way I saw it at the time was that you just cant put your life on hold!!
At a unit now so things are looking up . However, THIS is the hard bit. Its what all the time at college was leading up to. College was difficult but I agree with the comment that if you apply yourself then theory stuff will not be too much of a problem. With the practicals, well.......you can either do it or you cant to be honest!.
Did hear that the pass rates for the new courses were less than encouraging but I also hear that they are being 'fine tuned'.
To summarise....Yes its a daunting thought leaving your present job for a 'chance' to become an ATCO; Yes its difficult being apart from loved ones; Yes you need to apply yourself and focus on the courses; yes theres a lot more of the same at the units but I wouldnt trade my job for all the tea in China!!!!
GO FOR IT MATE.......If (hopefully when) you make it then you'll be as happy as a pig in S**t; if you dont then at least you can hold your head up high and say you gave it your best.
Thats all people can ask of you and you of yourself (bit profound but true nontheless)