PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA DEP Payscale/pension
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2005, 16:59
FlyingTom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was beginning to think I was the only person who thought the pension was a poor deal. When I joined BA I did so intent on not becoming a moaning Nigel. This pension issue is not a moan it's down right rude for BA to expect pilots (or others) to retire on so little, and the figure we are talking about is £9K at todays money.

BA had the best pension deal in the industry and I want those on NAPS and APS to continue on the scheme they joined up on. I know that they are concerned for their future pensions. BA has to pay a dividend one day and it is looking for a big cost saving somewhere.

It doesn't make BARP'ers moaners to raise this issue. It is surely more serious that I am going to have to retire on £9K than a (N)APS retire on £50K rather than £60K should BA close (N)APS and introduce a hybrid scheme.

And BA did not make it clear what the pension deal was when I joined, 12% or 7% ? was the question at the time and no one had the answer or mentioned pensionable pay being 3/4 of basic, we certainly didn't have access to the pension planner. Basic maths would have resulted in the £9K answer admittedly. All I was told was that BARP was costing BA the same as (N)APS so I joined expecting a lesser version of what previously existed. This was patently untrue, NAPS contributions are 25% plus anything else the company props up the pension fund with.

Next week the BA publicity machine is going to publicly address the pension "problem". I think it is important that those in (N)APS hear the details of the solution that BA would most like them to accept. BARP. They will all be told they are doomed if they don't sacrifice their FSS. After all BA isn't making huge sums of money, passenger bookings aren't at record highs and stock markets aren't recovering!

Having said that BA is still the best company out there, thats why I joined, and that's how I want it to stay. BARP is a poor reflection on how BA management value the individuals they employ.

As for the future; I hear that WW plays golf with O'Leary. There is currently no voice specifically for BARP members. BALPA are fully supportive of our cause but expect it to be drowned out over the next few weeks. I think we need our own lobby, I'd like to set one up if anyone is interested.